I waited until I was 36 years old to start my undergrad degree and I am just now completing my Masters Degree. I didn’t realize until recently just what a toll it has taken. Keeping in mind that I am thankful for the education and I wouldn’t trade it.
I have always been one to take pride in keeping a nice house and yard and those things have definitely suffered while I have been in school. I enjoy mowing, planting, and in general keeping the yard looking nice. The past several years that has been hard to do because of being in school full time. Misty and I still have things packed in the garage where we stored there when we were married 3 years ago. Things have become really cluttered and just dis-organized.
Misty and I attended a Clergy/Spouse marriage enhancement weekend in the Spring and we realized there that one of our greatest needs is to get rid of the clutter in our lives. Little by little we are going through things and selling some things and giving others away. I even started to sell some of my books on Amazon recently. In the past 40 days or so I have sold 160 books, not bad and that many books has to create some room in the house and in my office. Most of what I use to study for sermons and to teach is contained in a computer program that I have called Logos Bible Software. I still love to read and will continue but I now know that I can pass the books along and even get a little of my money back if I never intend to use them again.
We have sold a bedroom suite that we really didn’t need. It was just one of those things I didn’t want to let go of. We have gathered several things for a yard sale and after attempting to sell it one more time we are going to load up what is left and give it to Salvation Army.
It is amazing how we allow things to take up so much of our time and our treasure. Little by little we are getting control. We have lots of things we want to do in the house over the next couple of years as well as in the yard. We are just taking it one day at a time.
Samuel loves camping. This is the first time he has slept in a tent and he did great. We plan to do a lot of this, even in our front yard. What better place.
This has been a Labor Day to remember. According to wikipedia the 1st Labor Day was observed due to people being hurt or killed in a strike. Wow, I didn’t know that. We don’t usually do anything too big on this day but we decided this year to camp out in our front yard. I didn’t sleep very much and the fact is its OK because I have enjoyed the family, sitting by the fire and watching the sun rise this morning. I just heard Samuel yell for daddy so it will soon be time for everyone to get moving. Breakfast, riding 4 wheelers, a run later. God is so good to me.
In February 2010 we will start what is called 50 Golden Days of Evangelism in The Holston Conference of The United Methodist Church.
I am excited about this as we are going to challenge our 904 churches to spend 50 intentional days in Evangelism and then on Pentecost Sunday 2010 our goal is to baptize 3000 people in Holston Conference.
Is anything too BIG for GOD? No!
You will hear more about this later as well as The Holston “Conference on Evangelism” scheduled for February 19 & 20th, 2010 @ Cokesbury Center in Knoxville Tennessee with speakers Rudy Rasmus and God’s own Bishop James Swanson.
Stay tuned for more details coming soon.
Where I need your help is in the 40 Days of Preparation for this God Ordained Ministry. I am in process of preparing and writing a 40 day devotional that will lead us up to the 50 Golden Days of Evangelism.
The 40 Days will start February 23rd, 2010. I will not be able to use everybody’s devotion that is submitted but I will use all that I possibly can. I am looking for devotions that will fill not more than a standard 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper with a closing prayer. All of these devotions will be around prayer and evangelism. You will receive credit in the devotional guide for your submission by having your name listed.
These are Exciting Times, be a part of what God is doing in Holston Conference.
The deadline for these submissions is September 30th, 2009 and I would appreciate it if you would drop me a line and let me know that you will be submitting one.
Ronnie G Collins
Holston Conference Witness Team Chair
- Fires still burningabout 4 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- This is Samuel and Judah’s 1st camping trip in a tentabout 6 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Sitting by the campfire reading scripture with my familyabout 7 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- God gave us beautiful music N nature. Crickets & whatever else R out here, awesom. Why don’t we do this more often. Beats the tar out of TVabout 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- No cooking biscuits on a stick is not hillbillyabout 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Cooking biscuits on a stick on the campfireabout 9 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- This cheap front yard camping trip is starting to cost money, but I wouldn’t trade the time with my family for anythingabout 14 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Wal mart run for camping needs (snacks)about 15 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- We are camping in our yard and building a fire later. Bring your tent and a burger, we’ll cook it and make smores later, plenty of roomabout 16 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Its an awesome day to hang out with the family, cookout & camping laterabout 16 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Praying for Dan Schoppabout 16 hours ago from web
- Papa Johns 4 lunch, cooking out for dinnerabout 17 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Quote of the day “when it comes to giving, some people stop @ nothing” Ty Harrisonabout 18 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- blogging @ www.imagebearer.wordpress.comabout 21 hours ago from web
- Don’t let anyone look down on U because U R young, but set an example 4 the believers N speech, N life, N love, N faith & N purity. 1Tim4:12about 21 hours ago from web
- @ Out of the Box, no Sunday School this morning but come by and hang out until 11am service timeabout 21 hours ago from web
- 40 Day Devotional Inspired by Harry Denman
- 40 Day Fasting Journal
- 90 Days to reading the New Testament
- Adoption Foster Care
- Bible Study
- Celebrate Recovery
- Eternal Life
- First UMC Hillsville
- Holston Challenge 2010
- Hope for the Children of Sudan
- Logos Bible Study Software
- Out Of The Box
- Resurrection 2009
- Smith Family
- Take your best shot
- Tech Stuff
- United Methodist Church