I am running the Atlanta Marathon on Thanksgiving Day to raise money for the Children of Sudan. You can join me by running, praying, and giving. If you are interested in supporting in any way you can leave a message here, e-mail, or call.
James 1:27 (The Message)
26-27Anyone who sets himself up as “religious” by talking a good game is self-deceived. This kind of religion is hot air and only hot air. Real religion, the kind that passes muster before God the Father, is this: Reach out to the homeless and loveless in their plight, and guard against corruption from the godless world.
After reading an inspiring book “Take Your Best Shot” and coupling that with the Biblical mandate to help those who are in need. I have decided to run the Atlanta Thanksgiving Day Marathon to raise support for the children of Sudan.
Why not do something you love and help others at the same time?
Our Holston Conference of The United Methodist Church has partnered with Southern Sudan to help with the needs there and there is a possibility that I could travel there on a mission trip in the future. In the mean time I want to do something to help the children.
Here is how it will work. I will travel to Atlanta in November and run the 26.2 mile Marathon on Thanksgiving Day in honor of and support of The Children of Sudan Africa, “Hope for the Children”. By the way I will also run in honor of our great friend Ona Smith. Ona ran in this race several times before going to be with our Lord earlier this year.
Every gift that is given will go to support the children of Sudan, “Hope for the Children”. I will personally pay all of the expenses of entering the race as well as transportation to and from Atlanta.
There are several ways that you can support.
# 1 is in your prayers
Donate $1 for every mile = 26 dollars
Donate $5 for every mile = 130 dollars
Donate $10 for every mile = 260 dollars
Donate $20 for every mile = 520 dollars
Donate $100 for every mile = 2600 dollars
or simply Donate Any $ Amount
Special Opportunity – You could join me in the run and help raise money for the Children!
My goal is simply to raise as much money as possible and have fun doing it. I am inviting people (Runners) who would like to help raise money for the children of Sudan to join me in the run. You can sign up to run at http://www.atlantatrackclub.org
Make your checks payable to: The Holston Conference of The United Methodist Church or The Holston UMC
Designate your Check “Hope for the Children of Sudan”
Mail to: Ronnie G Collins, PO Box 356, Hillsville Virginia 24343
I will compile the checks and get them to Holston Conference on behalf of the children. You will receive a letter from me to signify when the gift is received.
I am excited to see just what Miracle the Lord will do.
Hope for the
Children of Sudan
Here‘s what is happening…
In the past two decades, more than 2 million people have lost their lives through violence, disease and starvation in southern Sudan due to a North vs. South civil war.
In Western Sudan, in the Darfur region, the Coalition for International Justice released a report in April, 2005 stating that approximately 400,000 men, women and children had been killed due to genocide in the region.
Years of food shortage, displaced children/families, and disease have forced millions (35 million+) to live in crowded refugee camps. Thousands have died and continue to die, needlessly.
This is Sudan, a country in crisis.
A Story from the Bible
35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’
There is one thing for sure, Running is the cheapest sport that you can participate in. All a person truly needs to run is a pair of shoes and shorts. Several years ago when I started to run I had the most basic of gear. Just any old pair of running shoes and any old pair of shorts.
I will admit that through the years and as I became more serious about the sport of running I started to buy clothing and shoes that are better and more efficient to run in. I now wear dri-fit shirts and shorts and I have been to a physical therapist and been fitted for running shoes that best meet the needs of my body frame and foot stroke. For me that is a Stability or Motion Control Shoe. The reason I did this is that I was having problems with my knees and I wanted to discover a way to fix it rather than stopping something that I loved to do.
I have been running in the Brooks Addiction for the past 6 years or so with no knee problems. I am just now venturing out into some different brands and experimenting to see if I can find something that is lighter and still beneficial.
I have struggled through the past 3 years while working on my Masters Degree to run and stay in shape. Although I never quit running I slowed down to just a day or 2 a week and I also gained weight which slowed me down even more. I walked two or three times a week and that help me to not quit. Now that the Masters is completed, I am back in the swing of things. I am training for the Atlanta Marathon on Thanksgiving Day. It is my goal to drop at least 10 pounds before race day and finish the race in less than 4:15
- Just read the chapter ” Marathon or Bust” looks like my long run this week should only B about 10 mi since doing 18.6 Saturday. 20mi next wkabout 12 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Reading “Running for Dummies” training smart for the Marathon, November 26thabout 13 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- The Marathon gets its name from the Plains of Marathon N Greece where legend has it the 1st marathon was rn by Phidippides. distance 26.2 miabout 13 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- “If you want to run, run a mile. If you want to experience another life, run a marathon.” Emil Zatopekabout 13 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- near 60 at Out of the Box for Bible Study http://bit.ly/45tCz9about 15 hours ago from web
- Praying for Daniel who is going through testing for diabetesabout 16 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- We are at about 50 at OOTB for Bible Studyabout 16 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- @ Out of the Boxabout 16 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- Keith got his hug, awww and not from me!about 16 hours ago from TwitterBerry
- headed to Out of the Boxabout 17 hours ago from web
- working on the message for tonight still. It turns out that Samson and SpongeBob have some things in common…Out of the Boxabout 20 hours ago from web
- had a great lunch @ Court Street Coffee and the fellowship was outstandingabout 20 hours ago from web
- going to the post office and lunch with Joeabout 23 hours ago from web
- just received notice of the biggest gift yet for The Children of Sudan. God still hasn’t given me a goal.about 23 hours ago from web
- gifts 2 The Children of Sudan have surpassed $300.00 N just a 24 hr period of time. I am so excited! I am running 26.2 miles 4 the childrenabout 23 hours ago from web
- Misty’s grandmother has been moved to the Woltz Hospice Home in Dobson NC http://www.woltzhospicehome…about 24 hours ago from web
- just got a call from a great friend I haven’t seen in some time, great to hear from you Drake!about 24 hours ago from web
- need a place 4 someone 2 go who is addicted, christian based and no insurance. Anyone know of such a miracle place & oh yes, female specificabout 21 hours ago from web
- trying to catch up on e-mails, the box is never empty and e-mail is passeabout 21 hours ago from web
- working on yth Bible Study 4 tonight. John 10:10 I came so they can have real & eternal life, more & better life than they ever dreamed of.about 22 hours ago from web
- planning lunch with a friend in the churchabout 22 hours ago from web
- check out the $10,000 challenge http://bit.ly/17mKzwabout 23 hours ago from web
- a friend has offered 2 donate $10,000 if I can do the Atlanta Marathon in 2hr & 5 min. Sorry 2 say that probably won’t happen but fun anywayabout 23 hours ago from web
- sold 3 books overnight for a total of 216 sold, 520 still in inventory that I would like to sell, and thousands that i want to hang on to!about 23 hours ago from web
- Out of the Box opens at 5 today with Bible Study @ 7pm5:11 AM Sep 30th from web
- thinking about and praying about Matthew 6: 1-4, what does God want us to see Sunday night?4:51 AM Sep 30th from web
- Make someones day brighter today. Speak to that person that tends to get overlooked.4:13 AM Sep 30th from TwitterBerry
- 40 Day Devotional Inspired by Harry Denman
- 40 Day Fasting Journal
- 90 Days to reading the New Testament
- Adoption Foster Care
- Bible Study
- Celebrate Recovery
- Eternal Life
- First UMC Hillsville
- Holston Challenge 2010
- Hope for the Children of Sudan
- Logos Bible Study Software
- Out Of The Box
- Resurrection 2009
- Smith Family
- Take your best shot
- Tech Stuff
- United Methodist Church